Loading please wait

Loading please wait
Sign In
Island County > Auditor > Licensing

Licensing Department

The Island County Auditor's Office will process vehicle/vessel titles from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday-Friday. If these hours are not workable, vehicle/vessel titles can be done at Oak Harbor Motors 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday or at Island Insurance in Freeland, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Tuesday-Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.

You may renew your registration online at www.dol.wa.gov or go to your local vehicle/vessel licensing office in Oak Harbor, Freeland or Camano Island to ensure timely renewal. We urge you not to delay your vehicle or vessel renewal.

The Island County Auditor's Office is responsible for providing vehicle and vessel license services. We also have three subagencies appointed to provide all vehicle and vessel licensing services.

Quick Titles - The Island County Auditor's Office will issue Quick Titles, 9 a.m. to noon Monday-Friday. If these hours are not workable, Quick Titles can also be done at Snohomish County. There is an additional $50 added to the normal titling fees collected.​

​Subagent locations/hours:

Oak Harbor Motors360-675-8000
75 S.E. Pioneer Way, Oak Harbor
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (open during lunch) Monday-Friday

Island Insurance Associates, 360-331-1626
1504 State Highway 525, Freeland
9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (open during lunch) Tuesday-Friday, and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays

Camano Island Licensing, 360-387-4700

811 N. Sunrise Blvd., Camano Island (located within Camano Properties)
9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (closed for lunch 12:30-1:30) Monday-Friday, and 8 a.m. to noon Saturdays

Renewing vehicle tabs and changing your address over the Internet is:

  • Convenient
  • Easy
  • Secure

Visit the Department of Licensing at www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/renewyourtabs.html

Sellers report of sale: Seller reports of sale may be brought into any licensing agent and processed for a $13.25 fee. The vehicle record will be coded with a report of sale flag immediately. Vehicle reports of sale may still be mailed to Olympia at no fee, but the record will not be flagged as sold for approximately one to two weeks. Vehicle reports of sale may also be processed online at www.dol.wa.gov. 


​​ ​Washington State Patrol Vehicle Inspections​​

360-658-2588, ext. 13137​ ​ ​


​10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Tuesdays (1st/3rd only)​

​10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


​10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


​10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.



​8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.


Frequently Asked Questions:

What documents are required to transfer a Washington title due to purchase or gift?

If you have  purchased a Washington state titled vehicle or received on as a gift, you are required to transfer the title within 15 days. After 15 days, a monetary penalty will be assessed. You need to take the following documents to your local license agency: the current title with the signatures of the previous owners releasing interest; a bill of sale stating the full purchase price or statement of a gift signed by the previous owner, and a completed odometer disclosure statement if the vehicle is less than 10 years old. If this is a gift, you will also need to provide proof of sales tax paid by the previous owner.

The cost to transfer a title is $42 plus 9.0% use tax, if applicable. Use tax is not charged on gift transactions is sale/use tax has already been paid by donor. 

What documents are required to license a vehicle in Washington from out of state?

If you are a new resident to Washington state or purchased a vehicle from another state, you must present the following documents to a license agency in order to obtain Washington plates, registration and title: the out-of-state title in your name or properly released by the previous owner (if you are still making payments on the vehicle and a legal owner is holding the title, you will need a photocopy or faxed copy of your title), a bill of sale stating the full purchase price signed by the previous owner if the title is not in your name and a completed odometer statement if the vehicle is less than 10 years old. You will also need to have a Washington state driver's license, unless you fit the exempt criteria.

Contact Us


Phone Numbers:

Mailing Address:

Office Hours: