Loading please wait

Loading please wait
Sign In
Island County > Auditor > Recording > Frequently Asked Questions

​Frequently Asked Question​s


​Does the recording department supply blank documents or notary services?

We can not provide forms or notarize signatures, as this constitutes "legal advice".  The Auditor and staff are prohibited by statute from providing legal advice.  Documents must be presented for recording as they are intended for public record.

Does the recording department have birth and death certificates?

Original birth and death records after 1907 are maintained by the Regional Health District, Vital Statistics Office at 360-678-7351. There are only a few original records beginning with 1891 through 1907 available in the recording department.

Where do I obtain information regarding divorce records or annulments?

Please contact the Clerks Office at 360-679-7359(option 6) for information regarding these items.

Are wills recorded for public records?

Wills can be recorded for public record, but it is not advised.  To probate a will, contact the Clerks Office at 360-679-7359 (option 6).

What kinds of documents are recorded in the recording department?

The recording office records Real Estate documents, liens, military discharges, maps and surveys. Copies of these documents are available for a fee. We also issue marriage licenses and County business licenses. For information regarding City business licenses, please contact the city your business will be in. For State business licenses, call 360-664-1400.​

Island County

Copyright Island County. All Rights Reserved 2019

Site Disclaimer | Contact Us

Main Offices

Whidbey Office
1 NE 7th Street
Coupeville, WA 98239

Camano Office
121 N East Camano Dr
Camano Island, WA 98282

Helpful Numbers

Main Line: (360) 678-5111
Sheriff: (360) 679-7310

Juror Recordings
Superior Court: (800) 254-2755
District Court: (800) 946-9765

Island County Directory

Employee Portal