Loading please wait

Loading please wait
Sign In
Island County > Auditor > Recording > Marriage License Info


Couples can apply for a marriage license by BOTH persons coming into the Island County Auditor's Office between 8 a.m. and 3:34 p,m, with a check for $60 made payable to the Island County Auditor.  Credit cards may be used for in-person applications, however a $2 convenience fee will be applied to the total cost. If both persons are unable to come into the Island County Auditor's Office, please call us at 360-240-5549 for how best to complete the application.
Island County Auditor
P.O. Box 5000
Coupeville, WA 98239

Facts you should know

All documents must be completed in black ink only.

You will be required to sign an affidavit swearing to the fact that, to the best of your knowledge, you are:
  1. Unmarried at the time of the application
  2. That you are aware of the status of your co-applicant regarding sexually transmitted diseases.
  3. That you are 18 years of age OR have the required consent forms.
This affidavit must be signed in front of a deputy auditor in our office OR a notary public. Upon proper completion of the forms, a fee of $60 will be collected and a license will be issued. This fee is payable only by cash, check or money order. Your license is not valid for three days from its issue date. This waiting period cannot be reduced for any reason. When the license is issued, it must be used within 60 days or it is void. The license is valid only for weddings taking place in the State of Washington.
Please note: All documents should be completed and signed with your CURRENT name. Getting married does not automatically change your name, it merely allows you to change it if you so choose. 
RCW 26.04.050: Who may solemnize: The following names officers and persons, active or retired, are hereby authorized to solemnize marriages, to wit: justices of the Supreme Court, judges of the Court of Appeals, judges of the Superior Courts, Superior Court commissioners, any regularly licensed or ordained minister or any priest of any church or religious denomination, and judges of courts of limited jurisdiction as defined in RCW 3.02.010.
If you would like to be married at the Island County Courthouse, please contact Superior Court at 360-679-7361.

Once you are married, the officiant has 30 days to return the final paperwork to our office: Once we have received these documents, you can get certified copies of your marriage certificate for $3 each by coming into our office or mailing in a request along with the appropriate fees. If you require certified copies right away, you can choose to bring the paperwork into our office personally. If you will be changing your name after marriage, certified copies will be required to obtain a new driver's license and Social Security card.

The fact that a marriage license has been issued is a matter of public record and must be readily accessible for public inspection. We cannot withhold any information from the public, including media and businesses catering to prospective marriage partners or newlyweds.

The State of Washington uses $15 of the fee paid to help displaced homemakers and abused children.
If you have any questions, please call our office at 360-240-5540.
To process your application by mail, return all documents to: 
Island County Auditor
P.O. Box 5000
Coupeville, WA 98239
Include a return address or a request for pick-up. If no clear instructions are included, the license will be mailed to the address on the check.
Additional offices where people may apply for marriage licenses:

Jefferson County Auditor360-385-9118
1820 Jefferson St.
Port Townsend, WA 98368

Skagit County Auditor, 360-336-9311
700 S. Second St., Room 201
Mount Vernon, WA 98273

Snohomish County Auditor, 425-388-3472
3000 Rockefeller Ave.
Everett, WA 98201

Whatcom County Auditor, 360-676-6744
311 Grand Ave.
Bellingham, WA 98225​​