Loading please wait

Loading please wait
Sign In
Island County > Juvenile Court Services > Child in Need of Services (CHINS)

Child in Need of Services (CHINS) 

A CHINS petition can be sought by a parent, child or DSHS. This petition makes formal an agreement for a temporary out-of-home placement for the youth.  Sometimes, when conflict has escalated between parents and youth, the best course of action is a temporary separation, in which time the family would engage in counseling or other efforts to resolve conflicts and heal the family bond. 

The petition allows the out-of-home placement without any dependency action on the part of DSHS, retains the parents’ involvement in the child’s life and emphasizes actively engaging in efforts towards reunification. In Island County, the family must have a place for the youth to go, such as a friend or relative’s home, and that home must be found to be safe and appropriate by DSHS. Youth who are homeless or in need of food and shelter may also file a CHINS petition to get help. 

To initiate the CHINS process, families must first schedule and complete an assessment through the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS).  The DCFS assessor will give you some recommendations and explain the process in more detail. Call the following number to make an appointment:

CPS Intake #: 1-866-829-2153 


Island County

Copyright Island County. All Rights Reserved 2019

Site Disclaimer | Contact Us

Main Offices

Whidbey Office
1 NE 7th Street
Coupeville, WA 98239

Camano Office
121 N East Camano Dr
Camano Island, WA 98282

Helpful Numbers

Main Line: (360) 678-5111
Sheriff: (360) 679-7310

Juror Recordings
Superior Court: (800) 254-2755
District Court: (800) 946-9765

Island County Directory

Employee Portal