Loading please wait

Loading please wait
Sign In
Island County > Planning > Building
Lovejoy2.jpg                                             Building Permits


What are the hours for submittal? 
Building Permit Applications are accepted up to 2pm.

How do I apply for an Address?
You can apply via US Mail or in person at our Planning front counter in the Coupeville or Camano Annex.
Along with the Completed Application, the following shall be provided:
  1. Approved Access Permit
    Issued by Public Works (360-679-7331) approving the driveway onto a County road, OR Department of Transportation (360-757-5964 or 360-848-7230).  When it is the first access onto the HWY. 
  2. Map
    An Aerial photo, or plot plan showing the accurate lot configuration.  On this map indicate the Approved Access Point/Driveway and any applicable easements.
  3. Fee
    $51.50 (made payable to: Island County Planning)
  4. Building and/or Septic Permit numbers.
Can I submit for a Land Use & Building Permit concurrently? 
Yes. If you have a Land Use Submittal Appointment, upon arrival, Please let our front receptionist know that you also have a Building Permit submittal.  The Land Use application will need to be accepted in order to also intake the building permit application & plans, Due to limited quantity of Guest Cottages, they are excluded from concurrent review. 

Do I need a Licensed Contractor or am I able to do the work myself?
A Washington State Licensed Contractor is required.  
Yes you are able to do the work yourself however a Owner/Contractor Form must be signed by the Owner & submitted with the Building Permit Application.  




on Thursday, September 29th and Friday, September 30th from 2:00pm - 4:00pm


Please be advised:

We are out of Detached Accessory Dwelling Unit certificates for 2022.  

These will be available again January 3, 2023.


FYI: Please remember all roof covering projects, new and replacement, require a building permit.


EFFECTIVE MARCH 14, 2022: Flood Development Pre-Application Conferences will be held in person on Whidbey on Tuesdays and on Camano on Fridays at 10:00 and 11:00. Virtual conferences are available on either day.  All time slots are first come first served. Please reach out to Vicki Mertins to schedule these conferences @ 360.678.7869 or v.mertins@islandcountywa.gov  


Building Inspection request phone lines are now phased out. 

  • As of November 1, 2021, All Building Inspection Requests will need to be requested through the Island County Public Portal
  • All Building Inspection Results are available through your Public Portal account.
  •  If you are experiencing issues with your Public Portal account, please contact us at (360) 679-7339.
  • The preference for Building Inspection Requests is the Public Portal.  If you are having issues and cannot reach us for assistance, you may send your inspection request by email to BuildingDept@islandcountywa.gov 


New SFR (Single Family Residence) & New Accessory Structure Building Permits only are now being accepted via our online Public Portal

Building Permit Submittal Requirements

General Requirements

  • ​Completed Bldg. Permit Application (In INK w/size 8 font min.)
  • 2 sets/copies of Building Plans (to scale).
  • 2 sets/copies of Engineering and/or Structural Plans if applicable.
  • Completed WA State Energy  code worksheet.
  • Plot Plan, no larger than 11x17 and to a standard engineering scale.

​​Single Family Residence

  • ​A Copy of the Approved Access Permit
  • Address Application
  • Approved Septic Permit/As Built or Applicable Sewer District Connection Cert. 
  • Approved WAV (Water Availability Verification Form). 

​New Construction (Garage/Shop etc.) on a Vacant Parcel

  • If Proposing Plumbing: Copy of the Approved WAV
  • If Proposing Plumbing: Approved Septic Permit or Applicable Sewer District Certificate
  • If Proposing Heat: WA State Energy Code Worksheet
  • Approved Access Permit

Note: Garage/Shop on parcels under 2.5 acres without a residence are restricted to 800 sq. ft.

Building Permit Submittal Forms & Helpful Links

​As pending or issued by the Island County Planning Dept.
Site Address Application
Approved Access Permit
​As issued by the Island County Public Works Department
Access Permit Application 
Approved ​"WAV" (Water Availability Verification) Form
(Approved within the Year)
​As issued by the Island County Health Department
​Water Availability Verification Form
As Built/*Approved Septic Permit OR Applicable Sewer District
​As issued by the Island County Health Department or applicable Sewer District 
​Application to Construct a Septic System

Holmes Harbor Sewer District
(360) 331-4636  

Penn Cove Sewer District 
(360) 679-4908
Submitted Land Use Permit
(Pending Approval or Approved)
​As issued by the Island County Planning Department
(i.e.; Variances, Clearing & Grading Permits, RUD's, EBEY Design Guidelines/Certificate of Appropriateness, within a Cultural Resources area)
Land Use Permit 

Flood Development Permit Approval
(if within floodplain)
As issued by the Island County Planning and Community Development Department
***Please note: As of June 2021 a Pre-Application Conference is required prior to submitting a Flood Development Permit; Please call 360.679.7339 to schedule a Flood Development Permit Pre-Application meeting.***
FEMA Flood Information

Island County Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance

Flood Development Permit Application

FEMA Elevation Certificate
Shoreline Approval
(if within 200 ft. of Ordinary High Water Mark)
​​As issued by the Island County Planning Department
Please note: As of December 2020 if the parcel is also within the FLOOD ZONE, a Habitat Assessment requirements for FEMA will be reviewed by the Floodplain Administrator.
Shoreline Environment Designations
Plot/Site Plan (Aerial View)11x17 preferred or legible on smaller paper.  Drawn to scale, not to exceed Engineer scale 1"=60' and indicate water/Septic lines, tanks, drain field & reserve and any building currently on the parcel and proposed buildings.
Plot Plan Example

Contractor Verification
If a Licensed WA State Contractor is not provided, the Owner must sign an Owner Contractor Form.
What is a registered contractor?
Visit WA State Dept. of Labor & Industries 

​Statement of Contractor Verification Form
Building Permit Fees 

Estimate the cost of building permit fees. 
Please Note:  The fee schedule amounts are estimates only and are not to be used as the amount that will be due at the time of building permit submittal.     
Building Permit Fee Schedule

Building Permit Valuation Schedule 

Plumbing & Mechanical Permit Fee Schedule 
​Building Stock Plans Policy
​Directions to create stock plans.  Stock plans are usable for the Building Code cycle they are reviewed with.  At the start of a new Building Code cycle, a new stock plan process is required.
Building Stock Plans.pdf

Staff Contact

(360) 387-3443

Request a Building Inspection on the Public Portal prior to 3pm on a business day for a next business day Building Inspection. (Federal Holidays Observed)