1. Draft documents are transmitted to the Planning Commission for review.
2. Department staff briefs the Planning Commission at a public meeting, providing background information, going over the proposal documents and answering the Planning Commission's questions. Electronic and paper copies are available for public review in person and online.
3. Public hearing is held by the Planning Commission. This is an opportunity for citizens to approach the Planning Commission and provide comments about the proposal. It is an opportunity to ask questions, provide input and express an opinion. It is very helpful for the Planning Commission to hear specifics to better facilitate their deliberations.
4. Changes are proposed based on agency and public comments.
5. Planning Commission deliberates at a public meeting. The public is encouraged to come and listen, but there is not the opportunity for public testimony. The Planning Commission deliberates, asks questions of staff, discussing what they've learned in public hearings andwritten comments.
6. Planning Commission takes action. After considering the information provided, written and oral testimony, the Planning Commission ultimately comes to a recommendation that they will forward to the Board of County Commissioners.
The Planning Commission is composed of nine volunteer citizens appointed by the Board of Island County Commissioners. They make recommendations to the Board in matters concerning growth and development as authorized in the Planning Enabling Act (RCW 36.70).
District 1: Karen Krug, Val Hillers, Dean Enell
District 2: Terry Reynolds, Darin Hand, Brett D'Antonio
District 3: James Caspers, Beth Munson, Tracy Hunsaker Gilroy
MEETINGS: The Planning Commission meets on the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month in the Island County Commissioners Hearing Room in Coupeville at 2:00 p.m. Three weeks prior to the meeting an agenda will be posted unless there is nothing pending upon its calendar.
TRAINING: Training conducted by Joe W. Tovar was held on November 9 and November 16, 2016 for Planning Commissions and planning staff throughout Isand County's jurisdictions.Powerpoints: Nov 9 and
Nov 9 and
2017 Work Plan & Docket Items
MEETING MATERIALS -
For the Planning Commission public meeting scheduled July 24, 2017:
Review and approval of final draft rules of procedure
August 14, 2017 Materials will be posted as soon as available
Island County Planning Commission at:
PlanningCommission@co.island.wa.us or by mail c/o Planning Department to: PO Box 5000, Coupeville, WA 98239
Comments may be submitted via the Department mailing address or by email. There are also public comment periods at each Planning Commission meeting and the opportunity for formal testimony at Planning Commission public hearings. Remember that they are your volunteer representatives on county land issues:
Department of Planning & Community Development
EMAIL: Planning Commission
(For comments related to Planning Commission only)
PO Box 5000
Coupeville, WA 98239
Telephone: 360-679-7339Fax: 360-679-7306
Click here for CPA Application forms
Comprehensive Plan/Development Regulation Review and Amendment Procedures (CPA):
As described in Island County Code (ICC) 16.26.010, a CPA establishes procedures pursuant to Chapter 36.70A. RCW, for the review and amendment of the Comprehensive Plan and implementing Development Regulations found in Titles 8, 13, 16, and 17 ICC. All amendments to the Comprehensive Plan and Development Regulations shall be approved by the Board of Island County Commissioners and proceed as a Type IV decision pursuant to Chapter 16.19 ICC.
Application must be received by August 1, for inclusion in the following year's Docket.