1. Draft documents are transmitted to the Planning Commission for review.
2. Department staff briefs the Planning Commission at a public meeting, providing background information, going over the proposal documents and answering the Planning Commission's questions. Electronic and paper copies are available for public review in person and online.
3. Public hearing is held by the Planning Commission. This is an opportunity for citizens to approach the Planning Commission and provide comments about the proposal. It is an opportunity to ask questions, provide input and express an opinion. It is very helpful for the Planning Commission to hear specifics to better facilitate their deliberations.
4. Changes are proposed based on agency and public comments.
5. Planning Commission deliberates at a public meeting. The public is encouraged to come and listen, but there is not the opportunity for public testimony. The Planning Commission deliberates, asks questions of staff, discussing what they've learned in public hearings andwritten comments.
6. Planning Commission takes action. After considering the information provided, written and oral testimony, the Planning Commission ultimately comes to a recommendation that they will forward to the Board of County Commissioners.
The Planning Commission is composed of nine volunteer citizens appointed by the Board of Island County Commissioners. They make recommendations to the Board in matters concerning growth and development as authorized in the Planning Enabling Act (RCW 36.70).
District 1: Karen Krug,
Kristen Stavros, Margaret Andersen
District 2: Wendy Shingleton, Darin Hand, VACANT
District 3: Beth Munson, Tracy Hunsaker Gilroy, Ray Koladycz
MEETINGS: The Planning Commission meets on the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month in the Island County Commissioners Hearing Room in Coupeville at 2:00 p.m. Three weeks prior to the meeting an agenda will be posted unless there is nothing pending upon its calendar.
2019 Work Plan & Docket Items
April 22, 2019
6PM FREELAND HALL, 1515 Shoreview Dr, Freeland.
Draft Findings of Fact
Draft Subarea Plan Amendments
Draft Freeland Zoning Code
High Quality Print (104 MB)
Smaller File Size (33 MB)
Draft Revisions to Titles 11, 15, 16, & 17
Draft Zoning Atlas revisions & list of parcels rezoned
Land Use -
Tables RAID and Change Matrix
Housing Regulations Audit -
Handout of Timelines
Land Use Project:
Rural Lands Table (draft);
Scope of Work
Summary of Proposed Changes
Draft 3.0, Part 4
Feb 25, 2019
Public Hearing: (R/S from 2/11/19)
NFIP ESA BIOP Compliance Checklist;
Findings of Fact
Workshop: (R/S from 2/11/19)
Memo to Planning Commission;
Memo to BOCC;
Wireless Broadband 101
Scope of Work;
Update Process and Timeline
Cancelled due to lack of quorum/snow
Staff Memo on new Federal regulations for wireless;
5G Wireless 101
SMP Update Process & Timeline;
SMP Update Scope of Work
Freeland Staff Memo;
Revisions to ICC Title 11, 15, 16, 17;
Freeland Subarea Plan Amendments
FEMA Door 2 Option
Ebey's Staff Memorandum;Ebey's Minor Code Cleanup;Ebey's Design Stardards
Freeland Staff Memo;Summary of changes from Freeland Draft 2.0 - part 2;
Freeland Draft 3.0 - Part 2;
NOTE: For documents from prior years, see the
Planning Commission Archive page.
* Materials for this meeting are not yet available
Comments may be submitted via the Department mailing address or by email. There are also public comment periods at each Planning Commission meeting and the opportunity for formal testimony at Planning Commission public hearings. Remember that they are your volunteer representatives on county land issues:
Department of Planning & Community Development
(Use the email link below to provide Public Comment to the Commission - No responses will be provided, in accordance with the Open Public Meetings Act.)PlanningCommission@co.island.wa.us
Or mail to:
PO Box 5000
Coupeville, WA 98239
Phone: (360) 240-5504
Fax: (360) 679-7306