1. Draft documents are transmitted to the Planning Commission for review.
2. Department staff briefs the Planning Commission at a public meeting, providing background information, going over the proposal documents and answering the Planning Commission's questions. Electronic and paper copies are available for public review in person and online.
3. Public hearing is held by the Planning Commission. This is an opportunity for citizens to approach the Planning Commission and provide comments about the proposal. It is an opportunity to ask questions, provide input and express an opinion. It is very helpful for the Planning Commission to hear specifics to better facilitate their deliberations.
4. Changes are proposed based on agency and public comments.
5. Planning Commission deliberates at a public meeting. The public is encouraged to come and listen, but there is not the opportunity for public testimony. The Planning Commission deliberates, asks questions of staff, discussing what they've learned in public hearings andwritten comments.
6. Planning Commission takes action. After considering the information provided, written and oral testimony, the Planning Commission ultimately comes to a recommendation that they will forward to the Board of County Commissioners.
The Planning Commission is composed of nine volunteer citizens appointed by the Board of Island County Commissioners. They make recommendations to the Board in matters concerning growth and development as authorized in the Planning Enabling Act (RCW 36.70).
District 1: William Criswell,
Kristen Stavros, Margaret Andersen
District 2: Wendy Shingleton, Darin Hand, VACANT
District 3: Beth Munson, Tracy Hunsaker Gilroy, Ray Koladycz
MEETINGS: The Planning Commission meets on the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month in the Island County Commissioners Hearing Room in Coupeville at 2:00 p.m. Three weeks prior to the meeting an agenda will be posted unless there is nothing pending upon its calendar.
CURRENT PROJECTS: 2019 Work Plan & Docket Items
Memo - Whidbey Airpark Access Economic Development Study Results and Funding Options
Matrix - Housing Change
Exhibit-A - Housing Draft
NOTE: For documents from prior years, see the
Planning Commission Archive page.
* Materials for this meeting are not yet available
Comments may be submitted via the Department mailing address or by email. There are also public comment periods at each Planning Commission meeting and the opportunity for formal testimony at Planning Commission public hearings. Remember that they are your volunteer representatives on county land issues:
Department of Planning & Community Development
(Use the email link below to provide Public Comment to the Commission -
No responses will be provided, in accordance with the Open Public Meetings Act.)PlanningCommission@islandcountywa.gov
Or mail to:
PO Box 5000
Coupeville, WA 98239
Fax: (360) 679-7306