1. Draft documents are transmitted to the Planning Commission for review.
2. Department staff briefs the Planning Commission at a public meeting, providing background information, going over the proposal documents and answering the Planning Commission's questions. Electronic and paper copies are available for public review in person and online.
3. Public hearing is held by the Planning Commission. This is an opportunity for citizens to approach the Planning Commission and provide comments about the proposal. It is an opportunity to ask questions, provide input and express an opinion. It is very helpful for the Planning Commission to hear specifics to better facilitate their deliberations.
4. Changes are proposed based on agency and public comments.
5. Planning Commission deliberates at a public meeting. The public is encouraged to come and listen, but there is not the opportunity for public testimony. The Planning Commission deliberates, asks questions of staff, discussing what they've learned in public hearings andwritten comments.
6. Planning Commission takes action. After considering the information provided, written and oral testimony, the Planning Commission ultimately comes to a recommendation that they will forward to the Board of County Commissioners.
The Planning Commission is composed of nine volunteer citizens appointed by the Board of Island County Commissioners. They make recommendations to the Board in matters concerning growth and development as authorized in the Planning Enabling Act (RCW 36.70).
District 1: Karen Krug,
Kristen Stavros, Margaret Andersen
District 2: Jake Sandefur Darin Hand, Vacant position
District 3: Vacant position, Beth Munson, Tracy Hunsaker Gilroy
MEETINGS: The Planning Commission meets on the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month in the Island County Commissioners Hearing Room in Coupeville at 2:00 p.m. Three weeks prior to the meeting an agenda will be posted unless there is nothing pending upon its calendar.
2018 Work Plan & Docket Items
Corrected Exhibit A Amendments to:
Chapter 17.02B ICC Exhibit B to Ord C-86-17
Staff Memo - Subarea Plan Revisions related to the new Freeland Development Regulations
2018 Feeland Subarea Plan Revisions, Draft
Second Draft - Housing Goal and Policy Text
Island County Hearing Examiner 2017 Annual Report
Staff Memo - Work Plan Docket Update
2018 Work Plan - 12/20/17 as Approved
2018 Code Cleanup - Project Progress
Staff Memo - Code CleanupPresentation
Staff Memo - FreelandFreeland Code - Draft v 2.0Chapter 11 ICCChapter 15 ICCChapter 17 ICC (v. 2.0)PresentationCode Options Handout
Rural Lands - topics/timelineUpdated public comment matrix
CAO Settlement Hearing Memo
CAO Settlement Ordinace Findings of Fact
Non-Motorized Trail Plan
Memo - Rural Lands
Alternate Choices for Rural Lands Regs
Public Comment Matrix
Feb 12, 2018
"Non - Motorized Trails Plan Update" has been canceled from the Workshop items
Forest Practices Findings of Fact Revised
Forest Practices Memo
Fully Executed Resolution
Ordinance for Comp Plan Amendments
PC Findings of Fact and Legislative Intent
RCW 76.09.460 and 470
Staff Memo (Comp Plan update, Rural Lands, Freeland)
Comp Plan updates
Draft Winery & Event Code updatesInventory of Wineries, Breweries, etc.ICC Chapter 16 &
ICC Chapter 17, part 1
LISTEN part 1
LISTEN part 2
Staff Memo (Freeland) Draft Lighting CodeICC 17.03.180.T.11_Lighting Presentation
Draft Housing Assets and Challenges
Island County Community Housing Survey Results - Presentation
Housing Assets and Challenges - Presentation
NOTE: For documents from prior years, see the
Planning Commission Archive page.
* Materials for this meeting are not yet available
Comments may be submitted via the Department mailing address or by email. There are also public comment periods at each Planning Commission meeting and the opportunity for formal testimony at Planning Commission public hearings. Remember that they are your volunteer representatives on county land issues:
Department of Planning & Community Development
(Use the email below to provide Public Comment to the Commission - No responses will be provided, in accordance with the Open Public Meetings Act.)
PO Box 5000
Coupeville, WA 98239