Loading please wait

Loading please wait
Sign In
Island County > Public Works > Roads > Road Permits

Public Works Permitting


Email and Mail Options for Permits

In an effort to minimize the potential transmission of COVID-19, Public Works will temporarily accept the following permits via email or mail:

  • Access Permits
  • Work in the Right of Way Permits
  • Transportation Concurrency

Use the fillable PDF forms below.  It's ok to just type in your name in the signature block for now.  

Accepted forms of payment are check, money order or cashier's check made payable to Island County Public Works.  We will also accept credit cards over the phone but please note a 2.5% service fee of the amount will apply.  You may also create an account and pay via the county's SmartGov portal: https://co-island-wa.smartgovcommunity.com.

Applications may be emailed to: 

Bret Hughes 360-679-7331

Mailed applications and / or payments should be sent to:

Island County Public Works
PO Box 5000
Coupeville, WA 98239

Phone Contact: 360.679.7331


Island County Public Works accepts credit cards over the counter, as a form of payment.  A convenience fee of 2.5% or a minimum of $2.00 will be assessed to credit card transactions.   You may also create an account and pay via the county's SmartGov portal: https://co-island-wa.smartgovcommunity.com.

Access Permits - For Installing a New Driveway Entrance, Relocating an Entrance or Permitting an Existing Driveway Entrance

  • Download Application or Contact Public Works
  • Return Completed Applications in person or by mail
  • Current Fees:  Residential $123.60  /  Commercial $283.25
  • See ICC12.12 for more information

Right-of-Way and Utility Permits - Any Work that is Done in the County Right-of-Way

  • Download Application or Contact Public Works
  • Application must be submitted on legal-sized (8 1/2" x 14") paper
  • Return Completed Applications in person or by mail
  • Current Fees:  Water/Sewer $139.05  /  All other Utilities $113.30
  • See ICC13.03A.050 (A) for more information

Hold Harmless Permits - For Property Owners to Receive Wood Chips from the County When Available

  • Download Application  or Contact Public Works
  • Return Completed Applications in person or by mail
  • Must be renewed annually

Concurrency Permits - Evaluates if Current Roads will Meet New and/or Changing Development Traffic Needs

Oversize/Overweight​ Permits​ - ​​​For Drivers Hauling a Load or Driving a Vehicle in Excess of the Legal Weight or Size Limitations

Special Event​ Permits​ - ​Special Events that Occur on County Roads; Marathons, Half-Marathons, Walking, Running, Biking or Filming​​

  • Download Application​​ ​​or Contact Public Works
  • Return Completed Applications in person or by mail

Current Issued Access, ROW and Utility Permits





Contact Us


Phone Numbers:

Mailing Address:

Office Hours: