Loading please wait

Loading please wait
Sign In
Island County > Public Works > Solid Waste > Household Hazardous Waste

Household Hazardous Waste

Household Hazardous Wastes are used or unwanted:

  • Yard & Garden chemicals
  • Oil-based Paints & Stains, Adhesives, Removers & Thinners
  • Used oils & old fuels
  • Automotive chemicals and batteries
  • Pool & Spa chemicals
  • Photographic & Other Hobby chemicals
  • Cleaners & Solvents
  • Dry-cell batteries (tape the terminals to prevent fires during storage and transport!)
  • Fluorescent lamps, CFLs (compact fluorescents) pre-1979 ballasts
  • Mercury (thermometers, pressure cuffs, thermostats, batteries…)
  • Aerosol cans (that still contain product)
  • Propane tanks
  • Refrigerants and refrigerating appliances

Dispose of Household Hazardous Wastes FREE at the Coupeville Solid Waste Complex, Camano Dropbox & Reycle Park, Bayview Dropbox & Recycle Park and the North Whidbey Dropbox & Recycle Park. Large loads, consisting of 10 gallons or more, may be referred to the Moderate Risk Waste (MRW) Facility at the Coupeville Solid Waste Complex.

See our Household Hazardous Waste Brochure.

Latex/Acrylic Paint

The Coupeville Solid Waste Complex accepts latex/acrylic paint for recycling through a partnership with the paint stewardship program, Washington PaintCare. Notify the scale attandent that you have latex/acrylic paint and they will direct you where to unload. See Washington PaintCare for additional drop off locations.

MRW Facility Customer Service & Assistance

The Moderate Risk Waste Facility is located at the Coupeville Solid Waste Complex at 20018 State Route 20, Coupeville.  Before entering the MRW facility, please stop on the inbound scale and let the scale attendant know you are here to see Hazardous Waste.

Open to assist the public:

  • Walk-in hours 10:00 am - 2:00 pm                            Monday, Wednesday & Friday
  • By appointment only (9:30 - 4:00)                             Monday – Friday              

Office Phone (M-F 8:00 am - 4:30 pm): 360-679-7386, 360-321-5111 ext. 7386, or 360-629-4522 ext. 7386                                            

What don't we take (and who can help you dispose of it)?

  • Asbestos (Northwest Clean Air Agency)
  • Ammunition (local shooting ranges and gun clubs)
  • Empty containers (trash)
  • Explosives (Washington State Police Bomb Squad)
  • Infectious Waste (County Health Department or independent service provider)
  • Radioactive Waste (Washington State Department of Health, Radioactive Materials)

If you have questions or need assistance with disposing of these items, please give us a call.

How do you know if it's a Hazardous Waste?

Look for signal words on the label.  For example:

  • Danger!
  • Warning
  • Caution
  • Toxics
  • Keep away from children
  • Keep away from heat or flame
  • Use in well ventilated area…

Look for hazard symbols and pictograms. For example:

Flammable Liquids
DOT Flam.jpgGHS Flam.png

"Flammable, combustible, keep away from heat or flame"



DOT Poison.jpg GHS Poison.jpg.pngGHS Toxic.png
Poison, toxic, harmful if swallowed"       


DOT Corrosive.jpgGHS Corrosive.png
"Corrosive, skin irritation, severe burns.” Sometimes “Toxic” with scull and cross bones


DOT Oxidizer.jpgGHS Oxidizer.png
"Danger, severe burns, harmful if swallowed, may cause explosion" Do not mix or store with other chemicals!


Environmentally Hazardous Substance
 GHS Env Haz Sub.png
Dispose of in accordance with federal, state and local regulations, do not pour down drains!