Loading please wait

Loading please wait
Sign In
Island County > Assessor's Department > Mobile Home Movement

Mobile Home Movement 

Before a mobile home can be moved in Washington State, a tax certificate for mobile home movement must be completed.

If home is selling and staying in same location:

If home is moving within the County or being moved to be destroyed:

  • Road Permit will need to be issued by Public Works Department
  • A Moving Certificate will be issued by Treasurer's Office
  • Full year current & prior taxes must be paid in full
  • Must also go to the Planning Department  to get proper permits for setting it upon new land (Not required for movement certificate)

If home is moving out of the County or to a Dealer's lot:

  • Road Permit  will need to be issued by Public Works Department first
  • Moving Certificate will be issued by Treasurer's Office second
  • Full year current & prior taxes as well as the forthcoming year's advance tax must be paid in full before "moving decals" are issued
  • Must notify each county's individual 'Department of Licensing' offices. Use the following application,  found hereand select "transfer in location"

If home is being destroyed on site:

In additionRCW 46.44.170 requires that all mobile homes constructed before June 15, 1976 have a Fire Safety Certificate completed, which may be obtained from the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries. Contact Information for L&I can be found here.

After completing the Tax Certificate, the Treasurer's Office will issue a Mobile Home Movement Decal including the make, model, year, and serial (VIN) number of the mobile. Transporter's name and WUTC permit number is needed as well as the DOT Special Motor Vehicle Permit Number. The Treasurer's office recommends bringing the Title for the mobile home with you when completing the movement certificate. The decal is valid for 15 days from date of issue. This decal must be conspicuously posted on the mobile home that is to be moved.

If the mobile home's title has been eliminated, it must be reinstated before a movement permit will be issued.


It is recommended that you check with the Treasurer's Office before buying or selling a mobile home, as all taxes due must be paid prior to transfer.