- Boards & Commissions
- Civil Service Commission
Civil Service Commission
- 9:30 am on the second Thursday of every month
- Administration Building, Room 1161
1 N.E. 7th Street, Suite 200, Room 116
Coupeville, WA 98239
- Renee Mueller, Chair
- R. Edward "Ed" Johnson, Vice-Chair
- Mike O'Mahony
The Civil Service Commission is established in compliance with the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 41.14.010 "The general purpose of [Civil Service] is to establish a merit system of employment for county deputy sheriffs and other employees of the office of the county sheriff, thereby raising the standards and efficiency of such offices and law enforcement in general."
The duties and responsibilities of the Civil Service Commission may be found in Chapter 2.12 of the Island County Code and RCW 41.14.060. Service on the Civil Service Commission is without fee or compensation. Members must be a citizen of the United States, a resident of Island County for at least two years immediately preceding appointment, and a registered voter in Island County. Terms are for six years.
The Civil Service Commission is charged with the recruitment and examination process for filling job openings in the Sheriff's Office. Their rules govern appointments, promotions, assignments, transfers, demotions, suspensions, discharges, and/or reinstatements to ensure that such actions are made on the basis of merit and fitness.
Summary of Commission Duties
- Make rules for operation of the civil service system that are consistent with state law.
- Give practical tests to determine the capacity of persons examined to perform duties of the position sought.
- Conduct investigations and prepare reports.
- Hear and determine appeals or complaints.
- Provide for, develop and hold competitive tests to determine relative qualifications of candidates and, as result of the testing process, prepare eligibility lists.
- Certify to the appointing authority the name (or names) of the individual(s) ranked highest on the eligibility list.
- Keep records. Approve payrolls.
- Current Sheriff's Office open positions
- Civil Service Examination/Application Process
- Job Descriptions and Requirements
- Deputy Sheriff Testing
- Island County Sheriff's Office