Island County's Long-Range Planners are Responsible For the Following:
- Maintaining and updating the County's Comprehensive Plan
- Developing subarea plans through active community engagement
- Informing stakeholders and encouraging participation in the planning process
- Working with staff to identify issues relating to Island County Code and permit processing. Proposing and processing amendments to the Island County Code
- Implementing and updating the County-Wide Planning Policies
- Coordinating land-use planning efforts between local jurisdictions, Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, and the County
- Planning for projected population growth and allocation by jurisdiction
- Making recommendations regarding the adjustment of Urban Growth Boundaries
- Managing the Department's Email Subscriptions (lists available: Comprehensive Plan, Freeland Subarea Plan, Critical Areas, Development Regulation Updates, Shorelines
The Washington State Planning Enabling Act (Chapter 36.70 RCW) authorizes counties, cities, and towns to adopt planning and land use regulations.
Island County also operates under the State's Growth Management Act (Chapter 36.70A RCW) which was passed by the State Legislature in 1990 as a mechanism for managing growth and development.
The Washington State Department of Commerce oversees implementation of the Growth Management Act.
Annual Review Docket
The Annual Review Docket consists of proposed amendments that are scheduled to be made to the County's Comprehensive Plan during a given year (known as Comprehensive Plan Amendments, or CPAs). These Amendments can be proposed by a citizen, the Board of County Commissioners, the Planning Commission, and the Planning Director. Island County Code (ICC) chapter 16.26 establishes the review and amendment procedures, pursuant to Chapter 36.70A RCW, for the Island County Comprehensive Plan and implementing Development Regulations found in ICC Titles 8, 11, 16, & 17.
All amendments to the Comprehensive Plan and Development Regulations must be approved by the Board of Island County Commissioners pursuant to Chapter 16.19 ICC. For information on the review process and criteria, please review the application forms.
- The Docket consists of amendments that are proposed to be made to the County's Comprehensive Plan (known as Comprehensive Plan Amendments, or CPAs).
- The work plan includes regulatory updates that do not require an amendment as well as items that may move forward in the future as a Comprehensive Plan amendment.
Applications must be received by the end of the day on July 31 to be considered for the annual docket for the following year. An appointment is required for submittal.
The Work Plan
Visit Island County Planning and Community Development's Yearly Work Plan for information about what's on this year's docket.