Moderate-Risk Waste Facility
The Moderate-Risk Waste (MRW) Facility is located at the Coupeville Solid Waste Complex at 20018 State Route 20, Coupeville. Before entering the MRW facility, please stop on the inbound scale and let the scale attendant know you are here to see MRW/Hazardous Waste.
MRW is open to assist the public with household hazardous waste disposal:
- Assisted drive-through: 10 am - 2 pm on Monday, Wednesday & Friday
- Self-service collection sheds: 9:30 am - 5 pm, daily
- By Appointment: Call 360-678-8215: 9:30 am - 4 pm, Monday – Friday
Business hazardous waste is accepted by appointment only, call 360-678-8215
Household Hazardous Waste
Disposal of Household Hazardous Wastes is FREE at all Island County Solid Waste facilities. Large loads, consisting of 10 gallons or more are accepted by appointment at the Moderate Risk Waste (MRW) Facility at the Coupeville Solid Waste Complex. Household Hazardous Wastes are used or unwanted:
- Yard & garden chemicals
- Oil-based paints & stains, adhesives, removers & thinners
- Used oils & old fuels
- Automotive chemicals and batteries
- Pool & spa chemicals
- Photographic & other hobby chemicals
- Cleaners & solvents
- Dry-cell batteries
- Fluorescent lamps, CFLs (compact fluorescents) pre-1979 ballasts
- Mercury (thermometers, pressure cuffs, thermostats, batteries…)
- Aerosol cans (that still contains product)
- Propane tanks
- Refrigerants and refrigerating appliances.
See the Household Hazardous Waste Brochure (pdf) for more information.
Business Hazardous Waste
Sooner or later, nearly every business will generate some type of hazardous waste. Island County's Moderate-Risk Waste Collection Facility is available to qualifying businesses to dispose of used or unwanted:
- Fluorescent, mercury-vapor, compact fluorescent lights and ballasts
- Oil-based paints, coatings, stains, and solvents
- Flammable or combustible liquids
- Lubricants, oils, greases
- Cooking oils/grease
- Toxic liquids or solids
- Corrosive acids and bases
Businesses are charged only the cost of disposal and any packaging required for shipping to disposal facilities.
Most businesses in Island County can dispose of their hazardous wastes through the County's Moderate Risk Waste Program as Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQG). Businesses qualify as a CESQG customers if they:
- Generate less than 220 pounds of a Washington state-designated dangerous waste per month;
- Generate less than 2.2 pounds of a Washington state extremely hazardous waste per month;
- Accumulate less than 2,200 pounds of dangerous waste on site; AND
- Properly dispose of hazardous wastes.
Businesses found to be improperly disposing of hazardous waste, and businesses generating hazardous waste in excess of the amounts listed above, become Regulated Generators and must comply with state laws regarding the management, reporting, and disposal of their hazardous wastes.
We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, or cash. Sorry, checks are not accepted.
The MRW Facility at the Coupeville Solid Waste Complex accepts latex/acrylic paint for recycling through a partnership with the paint stewardship program, Washington PaintCare. Notify the scale attendant that you have latex/acrylic paint, and they will direct you where to unload. See Washington PaintCare for additional drop off locations.