Marriage Licenses

Completing a Marriage License

Both parties can appear in person at the Island County Auditor's office between  8 am and 4 pm, Monday through Friday to complete the process.

Getting Married

The Island County Auditor's Office will process marriage licenses from 8 am to 4 pm, Monday through Friday.

  • All documents must be completed in black ink only.
  • You will be required to sign an Affidavit swearing to the fact that, to the best of your knowledge, you are:
    • Unmarried at the time of the application
    • Aware of the status of your co-applicant regarding sexually transmitted diseases.
    • 18 years of age OR have the required consent forms.
  • This affidavit must be signed in front of a deputy auditor in our office or a notary public.
  • Upon proper completion of the forms, a fee of $60 will be collected and a license will be issued. This fee is payable by cash, check, money order, as well as debit/credit card. Using a debit/credit card will incur a $2 fee.
  • Your license is not valid for three days from its issue date. This waiting period cannot be reduced for any reason. When the license is issued, it must be used within sixty days or it is void. The license is valid only for weddings taking place in the State of Washington.
  • Please note: All documents should be completed and signed with your current name. Getting married does not automatically change your name, it merely allows you to change it if you so choose.
  • RCW 26.04.050 - Who may solemnize: The following names officers and persons, active or retired, are hereby authorized to solemnize marriages, to wit: justices of the Supreme Court, judges of the Court of Appeals, judges of the Superior Courts, Superior Court commissioners, any regularly licensed or ordained minister of any priest of any church or religious denomination, and judges of courts of limited jurisdiction as defined in RCW 3.02.010.
  • If you would like to be married at the Island County Courthouse, call Superior Court at 360-679-7361.
  • Once you are married, the officiant has 30 days to return the final paperwork to our office. Once these documents are received, you may get certified copies of your Marriage Certificate for $3 each by coming into the office or mailing a request along with the appropriate fees. If you require certified copies right away, you can choose to bring the paperwork to our office personally. If you will be changing your name after marriage, certified copies will be required to obtain a new driver's license and Social Security card.
  • The fact that a marriage license has been issued is a matter of public record and must be readily accessible for public inspection. We cannot withhold any information from the public, including media and businesses catering to prospective marriage partners or newlyweds.
  • The State of Washington uses $15 of the fee to help displaced homemakers and abused children.

If you have any questions, contact the Auditor's Office at 360-240-5540.

To Process Your Application by Mail

Return all documents to:

Island County Auditor
1 NE 7th Street
Coupeville, WA 98239

Include a return address or a request for pick-up. If no clear instructions are included, the license will be held for pickup at the Island County Auditor's Office.

Additional Locations to Apply for a Marriage License